Job Advert – Primary School Teacher (Key Stage 2).(Ref: PRM005)
Based in Lusaka, Zambia, Lusaka International Community School (LICS) is a co-educational, secular, fee-paying, non-profit school, which provides an internationally recognised education to a culturally diverse, globally-minded student body in a caring and supportive learning environment. LICS holds in high esteem its vision statement which is to “maximise the potential of future world citizens”.
LICS is a leading independent Pre-Primary, Primary, and Secondary School based in the leafy suburb of Roma in Lusaka, Zambia, and is a member of CIS, AISA, and ISAZ.
The school currently has an opening in the Primary School and is looking for a suitably qualified individual to join the LICS community in this role with effect 1 August 2021.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of learners and how they learn
- Know subject and curriculum content and how to teach it
- Demonstrate professional teacher values and attributes
- Establish professional relationships to develop and support learning and teaching
- Implement effective planning, teaching, learning, and assessment practice
- Demonstrate innovative and effective classroom practice
- Create and maintain a safe and inclusive learning environment
- Engage professionally with parents and communities
- Bachelor’s degree, QTS, PGCE, and/or PGCE at Primary level (or equivalent)
- Experience in teaching across the Primary range
- For non-Zambian applicant’s qualifications will need to be certified and evaluated by the Examinations Council of Zambia and Zambia Qualifications Authority.
- Registration with a Teachers’ Accreditation / Registration Body.
- Proven ability and experience of teaching across the primary school
- Excellent English language reading and writing skills
- IT literacy, knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office suite Pro
- Experience with the Cambridge Primary Curriculum preferable
- To actively promote ‘Global Citizenship’ in the everyday classroom
- For each class, plan and prepare termly schemes of work and synopses in accordance with the School’s curriculum and the policy on differentiated work for the range of learners learning needs.
- Teach, according to their educational needs, the learners assigned to him/her, including the setting and marking of work to be carried out by the learners in school or at home in accordance with the agreed curriculum.
- Set and mark homework according to the school’s homework policy.
- Assess record and report the development, progress, and attainment of learners according to the school’s assessment policy.
- Prepare, assess, and invigilate learners for standardised assessment tests or external examinations that the school requires.
- Ensure that the school maintains a lively, stimulating environment e.g. through regularly renewed displays of learners’ work.
- Regularly review curriculum and schemes of work.
- Advise and co-operate with the PS Leadership team and other teachers on the preparation and development of the curriculum, teaching materials, and teaching programs, methods of teaching and assessment, and pastoral arrangements.
- Supervise and, so far as is practicable, teach any learners whose teacher is not available to teach them as assigned by Administration.
- Participate in the ordering of equipment and materials.
- Through differentiated work and in cooperation with the Student Success Services (SSS) provide a stimulating environment for all learners.
- To write informative and detailed reports to parents to impart up-to-date information on their child’s progress and ability, from which targets are set.
- To upload data to ‘Insight Tracking’ each term as requested by the Academic VP and/or curriculum coordinator.
- Maintain good discipline (in line with the behavior policy) within his/her class, in co-operation with others and the Primary School as a whole, in order to uphold the ethos of the school.
- Safeguard the health and safety of the children and promote their well-being at all times
- Register and monitor learners’ attendance.
- Promote the personal and social well-being of individual learners and any class or group of learners assigned to him/her.
- Provide guidance and advice to learners on educational and social matters.
- Make records of, and reports on, the personal and social needs of learners including incident records/files
- Communicate and consult with parents, and others concerned with the welfare and progress of the learners under his / her care.
- Participate in meetings arranged for any of the purposes described above, whether during or outside school hours.
- Teach the school’s PSHE curriculum.
- Attend assemblies, parent-teacher conferences, orientation evenings, and events as appropriate.
- Ensure children are wearing the correct uniform according to the school’s Dress Code and to be seen to be supporting and promoting the school’s Dress Code.
- Promote and uphold the school’s Vision & Mission statements.
- Participate in the appraisal of his / her performance and that of other teachers according to the School’s appraisal policy.
- Regularly review his / her methods of teaching.
- Participate in arrangements for further training and professional development as a teacher as appropriate.
- Participate in all whole staff meetings / PD sessions and all meetings which relate to the teacher’s professional duties whether during or outside school hours.
- Contribute as appropriate to the professional development of other teachers and non-teaching staff, including the induction of teachers new to the school.
- Co-ordinate or manage the work of other teachers, assistant teachers, or non-teaching staff when required.
Apply using this link here and fill in the online application form and upload a detailed CV with a covering letter along with three referees, one of whom should be your current supervisor by 04.02.2021, Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Lusaka International Community School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Potential employees will be subject to full security vetting.