Are you an inspirational educational leader eager to take a growing and vibrant Primary School through its next exciting phase as you help shape and lead its strategic direction?
As part of a strong Executive Team in a supportive and dynamic international school environment, you will lead our current 231 strong Primary School towards its capacity of around 300 students.
Lusaka International Community School will appoint for August 2021, with a 3-year commitment and a possibility of renewing for a further 3 years, an exceptional Primary School Principal to significantly develop and advance the programmes and standing of our school.
The successful candidate will be a committed, engaging and innovative educational leader, strongly identifying with and articulating the school’s mission and objectives. The ideal candidate will lead by example and be a respected school ambassador with a strong commitment to the strategic planning and operational management of the whole school as part of the Executive Leadership Team.
Founded in 1993, LICS is a dynamic international teaching and learning environment; a CIE (Cambridge Assessment International Education) school providing for Checkpoint, IGCSE, AS and AL assessments. LICS, a CIS fully accredited school and committed to achieving re-accreditation in the next 3 months, is situated in the leafy suburb of Roma in Lusaka, the capital of beautiful Zambia.
Lead, develop and manage the Primary School of LICS in an inspired, motivated and dynamic way. To strive for optimal academic performance from each learner by maintaining teaching standards and quality in staff in a caring and supportive environment. To support the Community Service efforts and enable the sports and extra curricula programme to function effectively within the school day. To lead the pastoral care team and have an overall knowledge of the needs of all learners
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelors degree and PGCSE at Primary level
- MA in education preferable
- Minimum 3-5 years experience as Primary Principal in an international school
- Proven leadership skills in managing a school in all academic, HR and financial aspects
- Proven skills, experience in driving the development of a Primary school based on the latest international developments and the strategic development of the school.
Management of LICS
- Participation in Executive Leadership Team meetings LICS incl. reporting
- Participation in Extended Leadership Meetings incl. reporting
- Provision of reports for termly board meetings, participation in board meetings where necessary
- Participation and contribution to the development and strategic planning processes
Development of Primary School
- Ensure the continuous development of Primary school in relation to the current international standards with regard to
- Curriculum development (Cambridge etc.)
- Classroom experience
- Adopting the latest technological advanced teaching and learning tools to fundamentally enhance the learning experience for our families
- Development and implementation of ongoing professional development of staff through the planning of annual PD budget for Primary and implementation of continuous PD programme for all staff to ensure that all faculty – from technology novices to digitally savvy advocates are able to engage with and see the benefits of technology for themselves.
- Ensure that technology is fully integrated into paedagogy
- Development and maintain the best possible personal communication between teaching staff and parents/learners through appropriate training and implementation of supporting systems
Management of Primary School
- Managing the allocated financial budget to Primary
- Ensuring that budget staff numbers i.e. establishment are adhered to
- Designing and setting internal deadlines for Primary staff
- Leading Primary staff meetings
- Contributions to the budgeting process in the course of the annual budgeting process guided by the Finance Department
- Ordering of resources and budget allocation in Primary school
- Updating and developing policies for Primary school and involvement in whole school policy reviews
- Organize cover for absent teachers
HR-Management Primary Staff
- Recruitment of new Primary staff with the support of HR
- Assist and coordinate in staffing processes including interviews
- Mentoring staff during probation time
- Appraisal of staff
- Staff development and training
- Organising staff development days and In-service
- Delivering in-service sessions throughout the year
- Coordinating Work Experience through the Vice-Principal
Academic Management of the Department
- Development and implementation of curriculum and schemes of work
- Development and evolution of assessment tools
- New learner admissions and development of transition packs
- Involvement in school productions
Examinations and Reports
- Examinations officer for internal and external examinations
- Coordinating and evolving reporting systems, provision of termly/annually academic reporting for Primary as part of the whole school academic reporting
- Proofreading and coordination of reports
- Coordination of Testimonials and References for leaving learners/transcripts through the administration/admissions officer
- Coordination of certificates and awards for learners at the end of term/year through administration/admissions officer
Supervision / Management of Afternoon Activities, Trips and Events (through the Vice-Principal)
- Coordinating afternoon activities alongside the director of sports and arts
- Coordinating trips/residential experiences
- Coordinating ISAZ events e.g. Arts week and Science Week/Fairs
Timetables and schedules (through the Vice-Principal)
- Coordinating annual LICS calendar and subsequent specific Primary calendar
- Timetabling for Primary School
Development and Monitoring of Discipline and Pastoral Care
- Developing and coordinating the Pastoral care system through the Vice Principal Pastoral and PSHE
- Identifying and looking at measures to deal with learners of concern
- Discipline in Primary school
Communication and Coordination
- Communicate between ELT, teachers, parents and learners
- Deal solution-oriented with parental enquiries and concerns to ensure the most client focussed result within the LICS policies and guidelines
- Coordinate with SSS department
- Organization and coordination of Parent-Teacher and/or Learner Led Conferences and orientation evenings
- Running assemblies
- Supervision of updating of staff/parent/learner handbooks for Primary school and online media to provide the most appropriate communication and information to our families?
- Part-time teaching (dependent on subject specialism and need)
- Continuous development of up to date communication tools/channels between the Primary school, class teacher and the parents to ensure the best possible relationship with the parental community.
Lead the strategic development of the Primary school with regard to
- Implementation of latest teaching and learning methodologies
- Identification and implementation of the latest virtual learning technologies (in coordination with the whole school) to provide learners and parents with the most advanced experience for face to face and home learning environment.
- Senior Leadership skills (motivator, discipline)
- Excellent communication skills within diverse cultural teaching staff, with learners and parents/business partners
- Proven skills/record in management of a Primary school (min. 3 years) in an international school
- Proven experience in pastoral care and management of disciplinary issues
- IT literacy, good knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint within the Microsoft 365 package
The position attracts a competitive salary (paid in USD) inclusive of a full overseas benefits package: flight allowance, settling-in allowance, accommodation and utilities, freight allowance, comprehensive health coverage, end of contract gratuity payment and tuition for children at the school. Generous Professional Development support is also provided.
Apply using this link here and fill in the online application form and upload a detailed CV with a covering letter along with three referees, one of whom should be your current supervisor by 08.01.2021, Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Informal discussions via Skype with the Head of School, Mr Thomas Gass (Skype: pascal1450) are welcomed.
Initial interviews are expected to be conducted via Skype mid January 2021.
Lusaka International Community School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate’s appointment will be subject to full security vetting.