Job Advert – Secondary School Principal (Ref: SEC002)
Are you an inspirational educational leader eager to take a growing and vibrant Secondary School through its next exciting phase as you help shape and lead its strategic direction?
As part of a strong Executive Team in a supportive and dynamic international school environment, you will lead our current 179 strong Secondary School towards its capacity of around 275 students.
Lusaka International Community School will appoint for August 2021, with a 3-year commitment and a possibility of renewing for a further 3 years, an exceptional Secondary School Principal to significantly develop and advance the programmes and standing of our school.
The successful candidate will be a committed, engaging and innovative educational leader, strongly identifying with and articulating the school’s mission and objectives. The ideal candidate will lead by example and be a respected school ambassador with a strong commitment to the strategic planning and operational management of the whole school as part of the Executive Leadership Team.
Founded in 1993, LICS is a dynamic international teaching and learning environment; a CIE (Cambridge Assessment International Education) school providing for Checkpoint, IGCSE, AS and AL assessments. LICS, a CIS fully accredited school and committed to achieving re-accreditation in the next 3 months, is situated in the leafy suburb of Roma in Lusaka, the capital of beautiful Zambia.
- Lead, develop and manage the Secondary School of LICS in an inspired, motivated and dynamic way.
- Strive for optimal academic performance from each student by maintaining teaching standards and quality in staff.
- Provide and nurturing, caring and supportive environment.
- Drive participation in and support for the sporting, arts and broader co‐curricular programme and ensure effective functioning within the school day.
- Raise participation in and support the Educational Outreach and Community Service efforts of the school.
- Lead the pastoral care team and have an overall knowledge of the needs of all students.
- Develop and grow the Secondary School and A-Level programme into the school of choice for LICS primary and external students.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree and postgraduate professional qualification
- A breadth and depth of school leadership experience
- Experience in international education
- Min 3-5 years experience as Secondary Principal in an international school
- Proven leadership skills in managing a school in all academic, HR and financial aspects
- Proven track record in driving the development of a Secondary school based on the latest international developments and the strategic development of the school.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
Management of LICS Secondary School
- Participation in bi-weekly Executive Leadership meetings
- Participation in bi-weekly Extended Leadership Meeting (together with all Vice Principals)
- Produce Board reports and participation at board meetings as required
- Involvement in school development and strategic planning
- Coordination and Management of all Secondary administrative functions including:
- Record keeping
- Staff Meeting agendas, minutes, outcome reports, etc.
- Communication: Social media, newsletters, letters to parents, memos to staff, etc.
- Designing and setting internal deadlines for Secondary staff
- Leading Secondary staff meetings
- Ordering of resources
- Updating and developing policies for secondary school and involvement in whole school reviews and accreditation
- Organize Cover for absent teachers
- HR‐Management Secondary Staff
Academic Management of Secondary School
Coordinate Secondary academic processes including
- Review, Development and Implementation of curricula and schemes of work
- Planning, Curriculum delivery and Assessment
- Recruitment and Selection
- Mentoring staff
- Staff development and training
- Delivering in‐service sessions through the year
- Development and evolution of assessment tools
- Development of a robust tracking system
- Review development, coordination and oversight of reporting systems
- Coordinating Student Work Experience
Student Career guidance and planning
Establish an extensive guidance programme
- The organisation of further education talks
- Coordination of Testimonials and References for leaving students/transcripts
- New student interviews and admissions, and development of transition packs
- Oversight of Secondary school productions
- Proofreading and coordination of reports
- Coordination of certificates and awards for students at the end of term/year
- Oversee management and Coordination of Afternoon Activities, Trips and Events, residential experiences
- Develop and implement strategies for student leadership.
- Deal with parental enquiries and concerns
- Options – discussions with parents and organising option groups
- Coordinate with Student Support Services
- Organisation and coordination of Parent‐Teacher / Student-Led conferences and Orientation evenings
- Assembly programme
- Supervision of updating of all Secondary school handbooks
- Arrange for Part-time teaching (dependent on subject specialism and need)
- Other as required
Supervision / Management of Afternoon Activities, Trips and Events (through the Vice-Principal)
- Coordinating afternoon activities alongside the director of sports and arts
- Coordinating trips/residential experiences
- Coordinating ISAZ events e.g. Arts week and Science Week/Fairs
Timetables and schedules (through the Vice-Principal)
- Coordinating annual LICS calendar and subsequent specific Secondary calendar
- Timetabling for Secondary School
Development and Monitoring of Discipline and Pastoral Care
- Developing and coordinating the Pastoral care system through the Vice Principal Pastoral and PSHE
- Identifying and looking at measures to deal with learners of concern
- Discipline in Secondary school
Lead the strategic development of the Secondary school with regard to
- Implementation of latest teaching and learning methodologies
- Identification and implementation of the latest virtual learning technologies (in coordination with the whole school) to provide learners and parents with the most advanced experience for face to face and home learning environment.
- Improve academic performance
- Focus on formal assessment and improvement of A‐level programmes
- Determine staff appraisal structures and schedules and recording system for outcomes and goal‐setting
- Identify and implement professional development strategies in coordination with the whole school
- Secondary classroom environment improvement and development
- Academic lesson planning
- Student assessment and tracking
- Development and regular provision of the academic report compared with historic LICS data and international/global benchmarks
Our ideal candidate will:
- Be an internationally-minded global citizen
- Hold a higher qualification in Educational Leadership or management
- Show evidence of continuing professional development
- Have previously held a senior leadership position in an international school environment preferably as Vice‐Principal or Principal
- Have experience and operational knowledge of a range of international curricula
- Be experienced in financial management and planning strategies
- Have hands-on experience in leading schools through accreditation processes
- Be an excellent team player
- Be sensitive and caring
- Be enthused by diverse international communities
The position attracts a competitive salary (paid in USD) inclusive of a full overseas benefits package: flight allowance, settling-in allowance, accommodation and utilities, freight allowance, comprehensive health coverage, end of contract gratuity payment and tuition for children at the school. Generous Professional Development support is also provided.
Apply using this link here and fill in the online application form and upload a detailed CV with a covering letter along with three referees, one of whom should be your current supervisor by 08.01.2021, Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Informal discussions via Skype with the Head of School, Mr Thomas Gass (Skype: pascal1450) are welcomed.
Initial interviews are expected to be conducted via Skype mid January 2021.
Lusaka International Community School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate’s appointment will be subject to full security vetting.