Based in Lusaka, Zambia, Lusaka International Community School (LICS) is a co-educational, secular, fee-paying, non-profit school, which provides an internationally recognised education to a culturally diverse, globally-minded student body in a caring and supportive learning environment. LICS holds in high esteem its vision statement which is to “maximise the potential of future world citizens”.
LICS is a leading independent Pre-Primary, Primary, and Secondary School based in the leafy suburb of Roma in Lusaka, Zambia, and is a member of CIS, AISA, and ISAZ.
The school currently has an opening and is looking for a suitably qualified individual to join the LICS community as a Primary School Assistant Teacher with effect on 1st August 2023.
- Know subject and curriculum content and how to teach it
- Demonstrate professional teacher values and attributes
- Establish professional relationships to develop and support learning and teaching
- Implement effective planning, teaching, learning, and assessment practice
- Demonstrate innovative and effective classroom practice
- Create and maintain a safe and inclusive learning environment
- Engage professionally with children, colleagues, and parents
- Demonstrate good judgment and confidentiality
- Show excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
2. Qualifications and experience
- A Diploma in Education (Bachelor’s degree or PGCE at Primary level or equivalent will be an added advantage)
- Experience in teaching across the Primary range
- Proven ability and experience in teaching and planning for groups across the primary school age range
- Excellent English language reading and writing skills
- IT literacy and experience of Microsoft Office
- Experience with the Cambridge Primary Curriculum is preferable
- Actively promote global citizenship in the everyday classroom
3. Key Responsibilities/Accountabilities
- Engage in planning, preparation, and feedback with the class teacher
- Be actively involved in the planning; suggesting ideas and strategies for upcoming units/topics
- Engage with and understand the daily/weekly plans
- Ensure the classroom is set up at the start of the day for the lessons planned
- Be actively engaged in teaching and learning at all times
- Take over from the class teacher to teach a class when and where appropriate
- Reinforce the learning objective through specific questioning and demonstration techniques
- Have excellent subject/year group knowledge
- Work with children of ALL abilities and encourage independent working skills
- Carry out administrative tasks for the class teacher: displays, photocopying, laminating, etc.
- Discuss academic concerns immediately with the class teacher
- Be involved in progress meetings, as appropriate
- Teach individuals, small groups, and whole class activities and support learners as needs arise
- Use collaborative talk and model expectations and high standards with the class teacher
- Take the initiative to
- support, scaffold, and or extend as required
- provide verbal feedback
- use practical apparatus, pictures, displays drawings, etc. to support and develop understanding
- make games/resources for the classroom
- work with children outside the classroom: maths activities outside, Makerspace, etc.
- Support learning during Library, Music, Art, PE, and ICT lessons
- Walk learners, in an orderly manner, to and from specialist lessons, ensuring children are quiet
- Implement rewards and sanctions as stated in the behaviour policy
- Carry out duties as timetabled
- Display professionalism at all times
- To discuss concerns regarding a learner immediately (emotional and /or social)
- To read and understand LICS Child Protection Policy and report any concerns immediately to the Designated Safeguarding Lead
- To take charge of the class when required
- To be responsible for tasks such as House points, suggestion box, and student council (as directed by the class teacher)
5. Application Process
Please fill in the online application form, and upload a detailed CV with a cover letter along with three referees, one of whom should be your current supervisor by 16.06.2023, Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Lusaka International Community School is committed to safeguarding and promoting our children’s and young people’s welfare and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate’s appointment will be subject to full security vetting.